News Now Content Facilitator
News & Spoken Word department
Work/study – Summer: May 1st-August 31st
10 hours per week.
CHRY’s News & Spoken Word Department works to foster a strong community-led movement for more critical, accountable and representative media. The goal is to prioritize and promote the voices/sounds of local events and groups who challenge and carefully examine the intersecting forms of oppression among our communities and dominant structures of society.
The News & Spoken Word Department is looking for a passionate and innovative candidate who can work with an existing collective of like-minded news contributors. The duties of the News Now Content Facilitator will span across day-to-day co-ordination of news stories and content development, audio editing, volunteer trainings and station outreach. The News Now Content Facilitator will be working under the direction and supervision of CHRY’s News & Spoken Word Department Coordinator. They will undergo all necessary station trainings over the first two-weeks and become a fully integrated member of the news collective team. The work environment is one that promotes mentoring, as such; the intern will be expected to pass on many of the skills that they have learned to new volunteers coming into the station.
As an alternative news outlet, News Now works as a team to collectively share skills and tasks among ourselves. We are committed to challenging ourselves and analyzing our stories individually and at our weekly story meetings using a consensus-based decision making model. For more on News Now, visit chrynews.wordpress.com
- Facilitate weekly News Now story meetings using a consensus-based decision making model that encourages critical thinking in the development of the story schedule
o Record and distribute meeting minutes to the collective
o Update the online and offline News Now story schedule weekly
- Organize audio files into the News Now database
- Contribute to the news collective by guiding story development that frames issues from an alternative, anti-oppression perspective
- Train volunteers in audio recording and editing
- Respond to News Now-related emails and correspondences
- Support News Now interns and volunteers in the completion of weekly tasks/stories
- Organize/update/maintain volunteer training and resource materials
- Help manage assignment desk
- Experience with anti-oppressive politics including consensus-based decision-making.
- Facilitation experience
- Expert command of English. (A second language is a huge asset, but not a requirement.)
- Excellent communication, time-management, organization and interpersonal skills.
- Creativity and strong problem solving skills
- Computer skills in MS Office and basic email/online correspondence
- Strong ability to work with others and independently
To apply: Email the News & Spoken Word Coordinator at email@example.com with a statement of interest and your resume by Monday April 14, 2014. Statement of interest should specifically address your interest in community media and the CHRY mission and mandate, which can be found at http://www.chry.fm. This work/study position requires 10 hours/week .
Students must be approved for Work/Study Positions through York University.
CHRY 105.5FM is committed to diversity and equity. We strongly encourage applications form women; people of colour; members of racial and/or ethnic minorities; First Nations people; people with disabilities and lesbian, bisexual, gay, transsexual, transgendered and queer-identified people.